Tuesday 29 May 2012

Silly Braxton Hicks

We had a bit of fun at Casa de New Normal last night. If your idea of fun is having contractions and calling the labor ward at 1am. Before I go any further let me assure you that I am not in labor. But I did think I was for a little bit last night.

I had a night out with the girls at a local pub last night. I got home around 10:30 and was in bed by 11. I had been feeling good all day, just a bit stiff after having to sit in a booth at the pub for so long. I laid down to relax and Frostina had a good stretch and kick session. We were both relieved to be laying down I think.

I was almost asleep when I felt the tightening in my stomach. Braxton Hicks contractions I assumed. I have been getting them from time to time, almost always when I'm in bed. But these were different. For one, they made me have to use the toilet (sorry TMI but it wasn't pee). They also didn't go away in 2 or 3 minutes like they usually do. I had pain in my upper back and my whole belly was contracting.

I got out of bed and tried walking around to get them to stop. That usually works with my BH contractions. This time it didn't work. By this time I was feeling the contractions in my upper belly and they were making me feel nauseous. I started to wonder if maybe it was my dinner. Was the fish in my fish and chips bad? Was I in actual labor???

That thought stopped me in my tracks. Was I in actual labor? I never had BH contractions in my last pregnancy and since I delivered via C-section I never had any contractions. Maybe this was what they felt like. Why didn't I pack my hospital bag this weekend like I promised The Hubby I would do? At this point I decided I should probably wake up The Hubby,,,, you know in case we had to head down to the hospital or something.

I went into the bedroom and woke him up. He was actually pretty calm considering I woke him up to tell him I was having some sort of contractions and we might be having a baby tonight. His first response was to scold me for not packing my hospital bag. I knew that was coming and I deserved it. But I hate when he gets to be the one to say "I told you so." It goes against the natural order of husband and wife things. "I told you so" is sooooo my line. But I digress.

I dug out the number for the labor ward that I got when I met with the midwives a few weeks ago. I called and explained all my symptoms. She asked all the important questions including if my waters had broken (no), if I had a show (no), and if the baby was still moving (yes). The very nice and very calm midwife said it sounded like braxton hicks and apparently it's not uncommon for them to make you nauseous. She advised me to take some paracetamol (Tylenol) and try to sleep. If they didn't get better than to call back.

So I took the pain relief and got back in bed. The contractions eased almost immediately. Not from the pills I'm guessing but because I felt much more calm after talking to the midwife. I wonder how many calls they get a night from people like me? I was able to fall asleep within a half an hour. So obviously not real labor, because we all know that taking two paracetamols (Tylenol) wouldn't touch real labor pain.

I have an appointment with my doctor today so I can discuss this whole incident with him. Plus it's a scan so I get to see Frostina again!

8 comments:

  1. hi,

    I'm new to your blog. I don't want to alarm you, but would just like to share my experience of BH.

    I was 41 weeks preg and due to be induced the following day. I had BH all day - not sore, just there, increasing in frequency. Waters not broken, no show etc. Went to hospital. Was being monitored - everything great. Then, almost instantaneously, my contractions became really sore. A few minutes after that, my daughter's heart stopped. 160bmp down to 0 in <1 minute. It didn't recover. And, I felt and saw her kick (a US was done to confirm that her heart had stopped) even though she was gone. We still don't know why she died.

    As I said, I don't want to alarm you. But sometimes BH are a warning that not all is well.

    I wish all the best for you and your little Frostina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had BH for almost a month; they ramped up the week before my daughter was born, so keep an eye out if they seem to become more constant each night

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just a couple days ahead of you and I have been having BH contractions for weeks now...they aren't fun, and very uncomfortable. I would say to definitely call every time you can't get them to stop within about 3-4mins (if nothing else, peace of mind)....drinking water helps, moving helps, putting your legs up helps, tylenol helps....mine have usually stopped in a few minutes. My hubby is a dr and there have been a couple of times where it has lasted beyond a couple of minutes but by the time he gets the doppler out to check her, they have stopped. So sorry you had such a scare....I guess you will be packing your hospital bag today, right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have an appt with your doc today and maybe he can shed some more light and say whether Frostina is ok or of she's coming early or what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a nice calm midwife and that you felt better soon and got some rest!

    I had contractions for half of my pregnancy with Bear (much stronger and more constant near the end, but no cervical changes). They've already started with this one and the midwives & high risk doctors all say that some women just have them and they are nothing to worry about.

    I definitely think they are just uncomfortable and don't have to be worrisome (although I totally understand that everything is worrisome now!)

    I wish you rest and peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BH don't always feel great, the closer to real labor you get, the more pronounced they get. I'm glad you made the phone call. I guess it's your body's way of telling you to pack that bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had such a scare and hope doc can shed some light on what happened. I am also getting BH a lot but I try not to worry about it.. it isn't so intense as what you experienced. My bag is half packed - the thing is I need what I must put in the bag!! Thinking of you..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and that the BH are Frostina's way of saying, "Hey! I'll be here before you know it!"

    ReplyDelete