Friday 27 May 2011

Right Where I Am: Nine Months and Two Weeks

Thank you so much Angie for creating this project for those of us who have lost children to participate in. What a lovely idea, to have each of us write about where we are now in our grief. So that new people can get an idea of the experience of grief further down the road, and so people further down the road can reflect on how far they have come in their grief.

So here is where I am, 9 months and 2 weeks after my son died at 36 weeks. 

I know am doing better. Better than before, when my grief was an all consuming being. It is still there, but it is buried a bit. Peeking at me around corners, but most of the time letting me be.

There are still times when it pops out and surprises me.
Not wanting to be ignored.
Wanting to remind me that it is still there.
That it is still more powerful than I am.
That I have not gained control over it.

Most of the time I can manage it. I am able to enjoy things, and life, and my husband without feeling guilty. I understand now that while grief is a part of my life and probably will always be, it is not the only part of my life.

It's like an unwelcome house guest who has overstayed their welcome. I have learned how to get away from it at times. I have also learned that I need to allow it to spend some time with me as well. If I try and avoid it for too long then it will jump out and tackle me to the ground, demanding some quality time with me. So I do my best to keep a balance. Where I have my time for fun, and my time to be sad. Most days I do a pretty good job of it.

I am also very busy at the moment. They say not to have too many major life changes after a loss, but sometime these things cannot be helped.

I am grieving. In addition to grieving, we are also trying for another baby. In addition to grieving and trying for another baby, we are also having to find a new place to live. In addition to grieving and trying for another baby and having to move, we have found out that the hubby may be given a new project at work. It's a good thing, but it's another big change.

My plate is full. My cup is running over. I am doing my best to manage it all. It's a huge job.

Yet deep down I know I can do it. Because the one thing that my loss has taught me is that I can get through anything. No matter if I want to or not,,,,, I can.

Because I have been there. In that terrible dark place. That place where babies die unexpectedly. That place where it feels like the whole world has screeched to a halt. That place where no light can penetrate.

I've been to that place, and I have crawled back out. I'm back from that place, because I set my mind to it. Force, and will, and strength, and tears,,,, all coming from an inner power and an external support system I never knew existed. And yet they were all there for me when I needed them. So I know they will be there for me when I need them in the future.

So after 9 months and 2 weeks I can say that I have embraced my grief. For all it's ups and downs. I know there will be many more tears to come, and I'm OK with that. It's part of the process.

26 comments:

  1. A wonderfully honest post. Thank you for sharing this with us. Though our "methods" have been different to say the least, the drive for me to have another baby was what kept me going as well. Gave me purpose and something to direct my energies towards. I'm in awe of you for all you've taken on, on top of this as well. Because I know how very difficult this entire process as been for you, and it makes me all the more grateful for how easy it was for me.
    Thank you for writing here and for always sharing your insightful thoughts with us. I'm glad to be a part of your new normal.
    Much love.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's like an unwelcome house guest who has overstayed their welcome." I think I have used that analogy too, like an obnoxious houseguest that drinks all of your favorite soda and berates you after dinner.I can only say that nine months to one year was particularly painful and acute, and I walked through all those memories of being pregnant with Lucia and how happy I was and how very sad I had become. Sending you love and appreciating your insights. Thank you for participating in this project. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautifully written! And all, unfortunately, totally relatable for me, even though I never made it anywhere near 36 weeks. I'm glad to hear that you're doing fairly well. It's amazing how strong you realize you really are, isn't it?! Thank you so much for sharing with us all, and proving that even though the pain doesn't go away.. it does get better :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very touching post. I can began to relate to it in so many ways. I too, kind of, have embraced the grief and accepted that it will be a part of my life forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good post. I agree about being able to get through anything now, I can and I will, even if I might not like it.
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good post for others to read, very brave of you to write it, a gift for others. I do so hope that your journey towards parenthood works out- sending best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really capture a sense of the chaos. Great post.

    We wish you were here for a little Memorial Day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting used to the lack of control. That's hard. I wish you well on all of your big changes to come~

    ReplyDelete
  9. That uninvited house guest is hard to live with. You always write with honesty and grace. I wish you so much happiness for your future. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. "In addition to grieving . . ." Sometimes (often, always) it seems like grieving should be enough. I hope the other pieces go smoothly; grieving takes enough out of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. It is a huge job, trying to deal with many other things on top of grieving. A job one that you are undertaking with much grace.

    I think you are very right about having to spend 'quality time' with grief to prevent it coming out and ambushing you unexpectedly. I still try and outrun it sometimes, even now, but that is really just a waste of time.

    Hoping for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate this project.

    It makes sense to let others know there is some sort of relief coming.

    I explain the pain like a sharp edge, and as time goes on, it dulls, but it will always remain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you are doing better and feel as if you've embraced your grief. I wish you so luck with all your up and coming changes and hope that your full plate doesn't get too overwhelming for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Embracing the grief for all for all of the up's and down's. That was so well said.. thanks mamma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic resource for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful post... my heart goes out to you. There are so many ups and downs in grief... and know how you feel about embracing it. Love always xoxo

    PS. I'm going to take my blog private in a week or so... and would love to keep sharing my journey with you. Email me on newyearmum@gmail.com for me to add your email to my list xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Uninvited house guest" is such a good way to describe grief. Thinking of you as you manage all of these other changes on top of the ongoing grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very sorry that you lost your son. Life does go on, doesn't it? I started a new job around 9 months out and moved back to my hometown and then went through the process of selling a house and buying a house. I understand the balancing act you're managing. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you much strength as you find your way through.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one strong woman! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing and being a part of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My world is one of full plates and cups and too much stuff and my lost girl and my grief are squeezed in there. The strength you describe, I sometimes felt it was brute force on my part.

    Hoping these big changes bring you great things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes once you have crawled out of the pit of the death of a child there is a certain amount of strength that comes from the climb. I think part of the strength comes from embracing the grief. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You sound so busy...but maybe busy is a good thing? Maybe it helps us go on. Thank you for writing such a beautiful and honest post and for taking part in Angie's Project. These posts have just been amazing. Sending much love and hugs to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hang in there momma! I hope that your journey to try again is easy on your heart.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Visiting from Angie's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm visiting (belatedly) from Angie's project. I am sorry your precious son died. I found this to be such a strong post. You describe the very hard work of grief so well. Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poignantly beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete