Monday 20 December 2010

Post Mortem Results- The Outcome

On Saturday we had our meeting to get the final post mortem results. It's a day met with both anticipation and fear. Of course, I wanted to know why my son was taken away from me a few weeks short of his due date; but at the same time I was scared at what the report might say. Would it uncover some horrible mistake I made along the way? Would it conclude that the whole thing was my fault? Would the report indicate something that would prevent me from carrying any child to term. Would the doctor say that we have no hope of ever having a child of our own?

A couple of days before our appointment, my husband asked me if I was prepared for the answer. He was concerned that if the report indicated something that I may interpret as my fault that I would never forgive myself. I lied and assured him that I could handle whatever the report said. Of course I would blame myself if the report indicated I had done something wrong. But there was no way I was not going to find out. So I told him what I think he wanted to hear. I'm not sure he believed me by the way, but I think it was important for him to at least bring up the subject for discussion.

So here it is.... our baby died because his placenta failed to do it's job. Somewhere along the line, the placenta stopped working properly. It didn't grow a large as it should have and due to some inflammation, it was unable to provide enough oxygen and nutrients to my son. According to the report, it was going on for some time and ultimately, my precious son just wasn't able to survive. None of our ultrasounds gave any indication that anything was wrong and apparently it's not something that they can really see on the scan anyway. They can't completely rule out an infection but since there was no sign of it in either the placenta or my son, that's probably not what it was.

I have mixed emotions of course. I now know what happened. I also know that it wasn't my fault. There's nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. But my son is still dead. It wasn't obvious at any of my scans. All his measurements were perfect so there's no way the doctors could have seen it either. But I didn't get to bring him home from the hospital in his car seat and put him to sleep in his moses basket like I had planned. It's also not something that is likely to happen in future pregnancies (if I am ever so lucky to have another pregnancy). If I am fortunate enough to have another chance, I would be monitored and watched like a hawk. But this information doesn't bring him back and that's all I really want.

I got home that night and allowed myself an evening of red wine and lots of tears. Why did my body fail me? Why did this have to happen to my son? Why, why, why????

My husband was crying as well, but his tears were mostly for me. His heart is breaking to see me so devastated. He's a solution guy and he wants to be able to fix this, to fix me so I can be happy again. I remind him that this isn't something that he can just fix. I also remind him that I am having more happy days and happy moments (I know it may not seem that way based on reading my blog posts but it really is true) and that it's just going to take me some time. I know deep down he understands this, but it's just really hard for him to watch me suffer like this. I think if he could, he would take away all my pain and bear the whole burden himself. I got really lucky when I married him, he's a very special man. And for that I am eternally grateful.

P.S. Just as I was writing this I got a call from my fertility clinic. They just wanted to follow up to see how my pregnancy had gone and update their records with the outcome. Talk about being kicked when I'm down!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my love. How heartbreaking. I remember getting the post mortem results for our first born and I just remember seeing the word 'unremarkable' all over the place. Of course, it meant that he was healthy and that there were no signs of anything out of the ordinary. But even now, 8 years later, that word still rankles. Unremarkable? He was totally fucking remarkable!

    I felt just the same as you do about losing my son - and my heart aches for you. I did go on to have 2 more healthy sons, but as much as I love them dearly, they will never replace Mack. I have 3 sons, who I love more than anything. I wish with all my heart that in a few years time you can write to someone else, saying exactly the same thing. If I could will it for you, I absolutely would.

    Sending love and hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so sorry, your loss is so new. I remember all of the raw emotions of all of this and the end of your post reminded me of that same dreadful call from our fertility clinic. I know the holidays will be tough. You and your husband will be in my thoughts as you try to get through each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day we got the autopsy results was really tough for us as well. For us, it was infection in an otherwise perfectly healthy mother and baby. My waters had just been broken too long, I just never noticed they'd broken. I blame myself every day, even though logically I know I shouldn't.
    It is such a bitter pill to swallow whether you get a reason or there is no reason. Ultimately we just want them back, even if we're assured we'll be "watched like hawks next time". I was watched like a hawk with Angus, and I got to bring him home, but it still doesn't bring Hope back and my heart will be forever broken.
    Love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending lots of love to you - the day we got Otis's autopsy results it was like he died all over again. To hear the pathologist state, "Otis was a perfectly developed baby - all the right parts in all the right places" as his opening statment - it just crumbled me anew. And yes I have gotten the reassurance that I can do this again and that I will be watched like a hawk, but, it doesn't bring him back, and yes, like Sally said, my heart will be forever broken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate what you said: "But this information doesn't bring him back and that's all I really want." I can totally relate, because all I've wanted since my baby died is to have him back. All I've wanted since his little sister died is to have her back.

    If it's okay, I would like to offer you some advice. I lost my first baby this year two hours after his birth and lost my second child to a miscarriage six months later. My first baby died because of chromosomes--nothing that could have been prevented. My second baby died because of antibodies. I developed paternal antibodies while I was pregnant with my first baby. No one knew until it was too late. A simple blood test revealed this problem after my miscarriage, but doctors don't perform this test until after a miscarriage. Some women don't find out until after two or three miscarriages. I'm not saying you probably have these antibodies; you probably don't. But, a simple blood test for you and your husband could possibly prevent you from having another loss they way I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I know in time this won't hurt as much. I know it's something I have to go through. My mom called it a milestone and I suppose she's right. But I really hate grief! I hate that I can't control my emotions. I want to fast forward to a place where it's behind me. But I know I can't do that, so I just have to take things one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so, so very sorry that you have had to go through all of this. Thinking of you and sending huge, fluffy ((hugs)) your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In October 2009, my friend and I were pregnant. We were due within a day of each other, booked into the same hospital, and unknown to each other, seeing the same high risk doctors because of problems detected in our pregnancies. Her daughter Imogen, passed away first. She was 23 weeks and her placenta was too small, resulting in Imogen losing her life. My daughter Ariana passed away five short weeks later.

    The reason I am telling you this is because I am thrilled to have found your blog. Your story is familiar, and so desperately sad. But Imogen's mum and dad have never found another story so similar to theirs. Now I can direct them here, to your beautifully written words about your much loved son and they can know that someone out there somewhere, just gets it.

    Peace to you and your family, Autopsy results are a milestone. But they suck and they hurt, so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today marks 7 years since I went into pre-term labor 28 weeks with my daughter. She died after 4 minutes. I still haven't gotten over her loss. I feel for your loss. I know that nothing anyone says or does can change the past of even soften what happened. I'm glad to have found your blog. Most of my readers cannot relate to what I have been through and I have been yearning to just connect and be supported by and supportive of those who can. I think it is not a coincidence that I found your blog today. Thank you for opening your heart and sharing. Thank you for your courage in pursuing your dream to have children.

    ReplyDelete