Tuesday 9 November 2010

Blessings and white teeth.

Yesterday contained an interesting combination of events. I suppose in a way it quite fits in with my idea of having a new normal. In the morning I had an appointment to get my teeth whitened. This is something I do every couple of years when I'm visiting home. I know they have dentists in London who whiten teeth, but no one lightens them up quite like an American dentist. Since I'm obsessed with white teeth, this is a must for me!

Then in the afternoon we had an appointment with a priest to have our son's ashes blessed. As a pretty much non-practicing catholic, church is not a place I usually visit outside of Christmas and Easter (OK, being honest I don't always make it even then.). So driving up to the church I went to as a child and also where we got married felt a bit odd. I have to say, there was something so familiar and wonderful about the experience. Of course it was sad, but I also had this overwhelming feeling that we were doing the right thing. The church is on a cliff overlooking the ocean so the priest had us sit outside on a bench and watch the sun set while we were having our talk. It was both beautiful and sad and I'm really glad we did it.

So that was my strange day, a combination of ceremony and vanity. Oh, and in case you were wondering,,, my teeth look great!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, did the priest notice your white teeth? Hehe. Good thing you were able to speak with him and visit the place. Imagine how beautiful the place is! I mean, the church on a cliff overlooking the ocean? That's a perfect place for contemplation.

    Joel Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your son. He'll be very happy in heaven when he sees you smile with those perfect white teeth. You deserve to treat yourself. Life goes on. =)

    Brendon Spaziani

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a good thing that you whiten your teeth once a year. I don’t think it’s an obsession to have white teeth always. For me, it’s a necessity. If you always have white teeth, it can boost your self-confidence. Plus, it is part of good personal hygiene.

    >Bettye Primm

    ReplyDelete